New Starter FAQ


This is a working document which is to be updated to incorporate FAQ’s raised by new employees of ChatterBug. If you have a question which is not included within this document, please email detailing your question and this document will then be updated to answer your questions.

FAQ List

When do we get paid: Employees are paid on or before the 20th of each month. If the 20th lands on a bank holiday or a weekend then you will be paid via BACS the last working day before the 20th.  

(Example: 20th June 2020 lands on a Saturday therefore you would be paid on Friday 19th June 2020)

What is the cut off date for being paid wages: The cut off date for new starters to be paid is the 6th of each month. Any new starters starting after the 6th of a month would get paid the following month. 

This is subject to the new starter having completed and provided all of the relevant details needed by HR in order to complete the setup of the said new starter. This includes  having provided all bank details for payment to be made, proof of identification (Photo ID and proof of current address), NI number and a P45 or new starter Form (Previously known as the P60).

When is the cut off for wage deductions, such as sickness: There is no cut off for deductions. If you are absent from work on the 19th of a month this may be deducted from your wages due to be paid the next working day.

Do we get paid sick pay: Unless otherwise stated within your contract of employment, all staff will receive Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), in accordance with government guidelines. You will not receive SSP if;

  • You have received the maximum amount of SSP (28 weeks).
  • You are getting Statutory Maternity Pay.
  • You are self-isolating after entering or returning to the UK and do not need to self-isolate for any other reason.

What are my pension contributions: You will pay in 3% of your earnings each pay period. This will be taken directly from your pay and will include tax relief from the government. We will also pay in 2% of your earnings each pay period. Therefore, the total contribution to your pension pot will be 5% of your earnings.

What if I don’t want to join the scheme: If you don’t want to join the scheme, you need to ‘opt out’. You can opt out in the one month period starting on either the date of this letter or the date you were put into the pension scheme, whichever is the latest. You can opt out by completing the form available from our pension provider (NEST) and following their instructions.

You will need to sign the form, or if you send it electronically it will need to include confirmation that

you are submitting it personally. The pension provider will also be able to tell you when the one month opt-out period started, if you aren’t sure. If you opt out during this period any contributions to your pension you have already made will be refunded and you will not have become a member of the scheme on this occasion. If you want to stop making contributions after the end of this one month period you can. The contributions you have made already may be refunded but this will depend on the pension scheme we are using and how long you have been contributing.

How do I get my wage slip:  As our company is paperless, your payslip will be available online via google drive either on or just after your pay date. To find your payslips, simply go to the google drive and type payslips. If you are new and have not received your first pay this folder will not be available to you until after your first salary payment

How many holidays do we get (pro-rata): All employees receive 28 days holiday based on full-time working.

When do holidays run from and until: Holidays run from January to December, meaning they are renewed every January.

How much notice do I need to give to book annual leave: Generally speaking two weeks notice is required to book annual leave. However, ChatterBug reserves the right to ask for additional notice for popular periods, such as christmas and the summer holidays.

How do I book annual leave: All employees will be signed up to BrightHR, which is an online HR management tool. All annual leave requests are to be raised, accepted and tracked using this online platform. You will be given a login to BrightHR upon commencement of employment.

What do we do about toll payments for Runcorn bridge:  Runcorn or Widnes residents get a free pass for the bridge. If you are a Runcorn or Widnes resident but do not hold a pass you can apply to Halton council. If you do not live in these areas you can get a sensor pass which you top up online. Unnecessary crossing of the bridge would need to be funded directly by yourself but if agreed by the business the cost will be reimbursed.

What do we get paid mileage: Mileage claims and time allowed is based on motor vehicles and is paid at 23p per mile.

Where do we get paid mileage to and from: Mileage is paid  for approved travel for business purposes excluding travel to and from work see travel policy for guidance.

How long do I have to submit mileage: You can only claim mileage form 2 months of the date of travel.

How do I claim back mileage: You must complete a mileage claim form available on templates.

What are the term dates? (Term-time Staff): All term-time contracts are based on whole weeks i.e. 38, 39 or 40 weeks. You work entire weeks and all days are working days within term-time, regardless of the client activity i.e. training/inset days with the exception of public holidays. Term dates can vary depending on your location and will be published on the intranet. 

How do I apply for unpaid leave if I want to be off during term time (and what circumstances might it be agreed for) and how much notice do I need to give (Term-time Staff):: Term time staff have no holiday entitlement as their salary includes the money value for the holiday accrue based on their contractual working weeks and hours.  Any time granted off during term-time would be unpaid, which can affect your holiday entitlement.