Our Colourful Semantics training course aims to increase awareness of strategies that develop the comprehension and aid expression of children with Speech and Language Communication Needs. Colourful Semantics is a language intervention developed by a speech and language therapist. It is a method of teaching children to understand and construct their own sentences using specifically coded colours.
This visually engaging intervention can be used with a range of children both in mainstream and specialist education settings. Language difficulties can leave children far behind their peers when they start school, making education much more challenging from the beginning and widening the gap between them and their peers without the necessary support and intervention in place.
By the age of 7, a typically developing child should be able to tell a story with key elements in place including grammatically accurate sentences. However, we know that not all children when leaving KS1 are able to do this, therefore causing a significant impact on the child’s educational success.
Why is it important to take this course?
Colourful Semantics helps children in many ways. Research has shown Colourful Semantics:
- Encourages a wider vocabulary, which improves a child’s comprehension and expressive language skills
- Helps children develop their use of nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Makes children’s sentences longer, so they can better express their thoughts and ideas
- Improves a child’s narrative, or story-telling, skills. This will help build a child’s critical thinking skills and understanding of things they’ve read. Narrative skills are also important for a child to be able to tell you about their day and the things that have happened to them
- Helps children answer questions.
All of these skills are critical to a child’s academic success in school. This is why it is so important for education and childcare professionals to have specific training and gain the specialist skills needed to use the Colourful Semantics approach. This will help them support children with Speech and Language Communication Needs achieve their full potential.
What will you learn on the course?
- Gain an understanding of what Colourful Semantics is
- Be able to identify the colours used in Colourful Semantics and what each colour stands for
- Understand the practical implementation considerations for Colourful Semantics
- Learn how this approach can be embedded across the curriculum
- Learn how to make Colourful Semantics interactive and fun for children
- Learn how Colourful Semantics can be transferred to written sentences and written language comprehension
- Gain an understanding of who can benefit from Colourful Semantics
What are the benefits of attending this course?
- Be able to identify children who would benefit from the Colourful Semantics intervention approach
- Gain more confidence to work with and support all children in school using the Colourful Semantics approach
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of how to support a child’s progress in developing various sentence structures
- Develop your skills in being creative and innovative in terms of lesson planning and classroom arrangements/displays to incorporate Colourful Semantics
- Be able to adapt the Colourful Semantics approach to a whole class activity, small group work, or one-to-one intervention
- Engage and motivate children more readily in the classroom through the Colourful Semantics approach
- ChatterBug Certificate of Achievement (Used as CPD Training)
- This course allows you to upskill colleagues in your setting
- Opportunities for further questions and access to further support
Our Colourful Semantics training course, is perfect for education and childcare professionals, such as teachers, teaching assistants and SENCO’s working with children with Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN). The course is also suitable for speech and language therapists, undergraduate and postgraduate students who are undertaking a degree in the field and looking for support and more information.
LocationOnline Course - https://meet.google.com/
- A study of 10 primary school students showed children demonstrated accelerated progress in their ability to generate detailed, grammatically correct sentences following their Colourful Semantics intervention. Children who previously had difficulties creating full sentences became more confident and eventually had no need for their sentence strips as prompts. (Southwold Primary School, 2019)
- A 2011 study showed children improved their expressive language test results after receiving 2 thirty minute sessions of Colourful Semantics therapy per week for 8 weeks. (S. Bolderson et al, 2011)
Our training courses are perfect for education and childcare professionals, such as teachers, teaching assistants and SENCO’s. The course is also suitable for speech and language therapists, undergraduate and postgraduate students who are undertaking a degree in the field wanting to learn about how they can support pupils in the classroom or their setting.
At Chatterbug, we are always seeking new and effective ways to support professionals education and child care professionals who work within schools and with children with speech and language communication needs. All of our training courses are written and delivered by our expert Speech and Language Therapists and quality and evidence based intervention strategies are guaranteed.
These programmes are designed to help raise awareness, teach valuable skills and share knowledge, and ultimately provide your staff with the confidence to support individuals with speech and language communication in your setting. The aims of these courses are also to spark your creativity when planning your lessons, in order to create an inclusive environment allowing pupils to reach their full learning potential as well as making the classroom and learning environment more inclusive for pupils with SLCN.
Our training and therapy programmes are designed to eﬀectively target the following areas:
Focus on establishing supportive communication environments at home and in school, thus providing consistency.
Create bespoke therapy sessions for individuals or groups, either as a single occurrence or ongoing input. We can also train parents and staff to deliver these programmes.
We actively promote quality-first teaching, and can conduct a full or part audit of your staff and school environment to help tailor our programmes to your needs.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, our training courses will be taking place online via Google Meet. All relevant support information for accessing the course will be sent out to attendees prior to the course.
We accept all major debit/credit cards via Stripe and Paypal. We have an invoice option for education-based settings, schools and organisations. Please select the Pay by Invoice option via checkout and a member of staff will contact you and send the appropriate department the invoice to pay.
Once completed, and we receive your order we will process the payment and send you an invoice request, once the payment has been paid we will send you confirmation and details to access the course directly. Please note if you are booking on behalf of someone else or a colleague please ensure you include their email address and contact .
Yes of course, please add all the course attendee(s) full name and email address at the time of booking.
We will be in touch with a booking confirmation as soon as we process your email.
This will include full of your course booking and also a full invoice.
It should hopefully give you all the information that you need but if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’re here to help.
Yes, we provide a certified ChatterBug Certificate once you have completed the course and provided feedback.
If you have any special needs or requirements please let us know when you book your course so that we can confirm that we’ll be able to accommodate your needs before you book the course. Please also let the trainer know at the start of your training day.
Once you have completed the training survey, and the training course we will provide you access to the training recording, as well as any resources (if applicable). The recording will only be available for 2 weeks from the date this is sent.
Yes, we offer post training support for our in-house training sessions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions you have.
We can deliver a bespoke training programme to your staff. We deliver our training courses face to face in your setting and are commissioned directly by schools, nurseries, and academies. We work alongside trusts and clusters of schools to deliver the training programmes that you require. If our scheduled courses do not fully meet your requirements, we are happy to develop bespoke courses to meet the needs of your workforce and setting of a time and date that work for you.
What are the next steps?
If you would like a bespoke training programme or would like to to discuss how bespoke training could work for your setting please contact our office on 0113 240 8510 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates & Prices
08/12/2021 3:30 pm
Virtual Workshop via Google Meet
Upskill staff in your education-setting
Flexible self-paced learning
Qualified, expert trainers