Our Vocabulary Approach training course provides an in-depth overview of the theory of vocabulary learning and how to implement this approach within the classroom. This training is based on a strong theoretical model and uses the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ approach to teaching strategies to help children become effective word learners. The framework can be used as part of a whole class approach for all children or taught in small groups; this can have value for those pupils who start at a disadvantage including children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SLCN) and Developmental Language Disorder (DLD). The framework can also be used for pre-teaching vocabulary and can be used as a universal approach to extend the vocabulary learning for all students.
Why is it important to take this course?
Strong vocabulary forms the foundation of good communication skills. Difficulties with acquiring and using vocabulary can have a negative impact on all aspects of learning. Children with a good vocabulary tend to have overall better outcomes in life.
Our ability to progress socially and academically is largely affected by our language skills and word knowledge. Children need to develop rich and large vocabularies in order to achieve within all aspects of education.
A large vocabulary is predictive of listening, reading and writing success. Children need to have a good vocabulary to understand what they are reading.
This is why it is so important that educational and childcare professionals seek specialist training such as this in order to build on their knowledge. Having this knowledge will enable them to support children’s oral language and develop their vocabulary which will help develop their overall competence in literacy.
What will you learn on the course?
- Learn and understand the current evidence and research on vocabulary development
- Exploration of current and new practices to support vocabulary development
- Learn how to deliver the Chatterbug Vocabulary programme and set up effective groups
- The theory of vocabulary and how we learn vocabulary
- What sorts of vocabulary words should be targeted when using this approach.
- How to implement the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ approach to teaching strategies to help children become effective word learners
- The strategies and methods that can be used as whole class approaches or small groups of children
- How to use the approach to effectively pre-teaching and reviewing vocabulary
- The importance of using knowledge of semantic, phonological, perceptual and kinesthetic aspects of a word to support word learning
- How to develop a child’s ability to independently learn and recall new words
What are the benefits of attending this course?
- Gain more confidence to work with and support children with difficulties with word learning and word recall
- Gain skills to support children with vocabulary difficulties
- Engage and motivate children more readily in the classroom
- Be able to adapt the Vocabulary approach to a whole class activity, small group work, or one-to-one intervention
- Ensure all children have an equal opportunity to thrive and reach personal milestones
- Support children who are not achieving their expected levels of progress in their language development
- Learn how to implement universal strategies that can support all children and develop their language and communication skills
- ChatterBug Certificate of Achievement (Used as CPD Training)
- This course allows you to upskill colleagues in your setting
- Opportunities for further questions and access to further support
Our Vocabulary Approach, is perfect for education and childcare professionals, such as teachers, teaching assistants and SENCO’s working with children with Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN). The course is also suitable for speech and language therapists, undergraduate and postgraduate students who are undertaking a degree in the field and looking for support and more information.
LocationOnline Course - https://meet.google.com/
- By 5 years of age, a child’s vocabulary will predict their educational outcomes at age 30. ( Feinstein and Duckworth, 2006)
- Children with Language impairment have difficulty comprehending and producing new words after limited exposures in quick incidental learning conditions (Rice, et al., 1990)
- When exposed to target words more frequently, word learning of children with language impairment improves (Nash and Donaldson, 2005; Rice et al., 1994; Riches et al., 2005)
Our training courses are perfect for education and childcare professionals, such as teachers, teaching assistants and SENCO’s. The course is also suitable for speech and language therapists, undergraduate and postgraduate students who are undertaking a degree in the field wanting to learn about how they can support pupils in the classroom or their setting.
At Chatterbug, we are always seeking new and effective ways to support professionals education and child care professionals who work within schools and with children with speech and language communication needs. All of our training courses are written and delivered by our expert Speech and Language Therapists and quality and evidence based intervention strategies are guaranteed.
These programmes are designed to help raise awareness, teach valuable skills and share knowledge, and ultimately provide your staff with the confidence to support individuals with speech and language communication in your setting. The aims of these courses are also to spark your creativity when planning your lessons, in order to create an inclusive environment allowing pupils to reach their full learning potential as well as making the classroom and learning environment more inclusive for pupils with SLCN.
Our training and therapy programmes are designed to eﬀectively target the following areas:
Focus on establishing supportive communication environments at home and in school, thus providing consistency.
Create bespoke therapy sessions for individuals or groups, either as a single occurrence or ongoing input. We can also train parents and staff to deliver these programmes.
We actively promote quality-first teaching, and can conduct a full or part audit of your staff and school environment to help tailor our programmes to your needs.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, our training courses will be taking place online via Google Meet. All relevant support information for accessing the course will be sent out to attendees prior to the course.
We accept all major debit/credit cards via Stripe and Paypal. We have an invoice option for education-based settings, schools and organisations. Please select the Pay by Invoice option via checkout and a member of staff will contact you and send the appropriate department the invoice to pay.
Once completed, and we receive your order we will process the payment and send you an invoice request, once the payment has been paid we will send you confirmation and details to access the course directly. Please note if you are booking on behalf of someone else or a colleague please ensure you include their email address and contact .
Yes of course, please add all the course attendee(s) full name and email address at the time of booking.
We will be in touch with a booking confirmation as soon as we process your email.
This will include full of your course booking and also a full invoice.
It should hopefully give you all the information that you need but if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’re here to help.
Yes, we provide a certified ChatterBug Certificate once you have completed the course and provided feedback.
If you have any special needs or requirements please let us know when you book your course so that we can confirm that we’ll be able to accommodate your needs before you book the course. Please also let the trainer know at the start of your training day.
Once you have completed the training survey, and the training course we will provide you access to the training recording, as well as any resources (if applicable). The recording will only be available for 2 weeks from the date this is sent.
Yes, we offer post training support for our in-house training sessions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions you have.
We can deliver a bespoke training programme to your staff. We deliver our training courses face to face in your setting and are commissioned directly by schools, nurseries, and academies. We work alongside trusts and clusters of schools to deliver the training programmes that you require. If our scheduled courses do not fully meet your requirements, we are happy to develop bespoke courses to meet the needs of your workforce and setting of a time and date that work for you.
What are the next steps?
If you would like a bespoke training programme or would like to to discuss how bespoke training could work for your setting please contact our office on 0113 240 8510 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates & Prices
20/10/2021 3:30 pm
Virtual Workshop via Google Meet
Upskill staff in your education-setting
Flexible self-paced learning
Qualified, expert trainers